Friday, May 14, 2010

Chocolate Cake With Nutella & Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache

Despite my best efforts to keep my staff enjoying sweets and treats they are mostly not dessert people.  My good childhood friend Tommy Cassady just had surgery which prompted me to feel the need for a house call and something to cheer his spirits since he is home bound and in a wheelchair.  I told him I took requests and he was emphatic of "anything chocolate."   It was said with such gusto I figured I might as well pull out all the stops and do it right.  With no particular direction I had these 3 nifty little 6" cake pans I had bought and set out to make a totally decadent chocolate cake made with dark cocoa and buttermilk.  Deciding what to fuse those 3 layers together with, Nutella came to mind.  This stuff is hard enough just to get out of the bottle so I figured it would make great glue, besides just being about the most yummy thing around.  I really like the shiny gloss of Ganache and since it's made with heavy cream it was already a winner in my book.  I had 2 bars of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao bittersweet chocolate and went to town.  Since my tastes border on the non-traditional I decided to just pour the Ganache over the top and let it cascade down the sides.  It really turned out delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment