Saturday, April 17, 2010

8 Hour German Chocolate Cake

 This is my first German Chocolate cake.  It took 2 tries but success at last.  A German Chocolate Cake from scratch.  The recipe's comment section had 2 bad reviews from professional chefs who had some of the same problems I did, therefore I don't feel so bad about the trouble I had with it.  This was the most difficult cake I have ever made.  The first one burned on top, fell, and was soup in the middle.  I started at 6 o'clock and wound up at 10 having to start over and make it again.  After the 45 minute bake time it was still far from done.  I didn't want a repeat of the previous one with a burned top so I turned the oven down to 275 and gave it 2 hours.  I took it out and went to bed at 1 am leaving it to cool deciding that whatever happens happens. After all if I had to I would just go buy one at the store for the birthday party as a last resort.  I got up and started on it again at 7 am and finished at 8.  I'm very pleased with the final result as it is very moist and delicious.  It is a 4 layer with lots of creamy coconut and pecans throughout.  I hope Chris and the birthday boy like it.  My toughest critic.

No comments:

Post a Comment